There’s always an excuse not to do Sustainability. What’s yours?
Here are some of the excuses I’ve heard over the last couple of years not to move forward on a Sustainability project or strategy:
- We’re selling part/all of the business
- We’re buying a new business
- We’re in financial difficulty
- The boss has been sacked
- I’ve got a new boss, don’t know what his position on this is
- We’re writing our annual sustainability report
- It’s not a good time to ask the boss
- I’m too busy
Now, I’m not knocking any of these reasons – they’re all pressures we all feel at different times. But given the overwhelming evidence to link strong Sustainability performance with strong business performance (eg here), why wouldn’t you prioritise Sustainability?
The problem is the annoyingly persistent old mindset of “Sustainability costs you more” when we should be thinking “Sustainability is an engine of growth.” Change the mindset and the problem becomes a solution.