We are clearly living in an energy revolution – coal companies collapsing, oil prices trundling along the bottom as production outstrips demand and a surge in renewable energy.
But just imagine what that revolution would be like if:
- Fossil fuels didn’t receive four times the subsidy of renewables;
- If the fossil fuel industry wasn’t intrinsically linked to the future of many powerful politicians and Governments around the world;
- If the money propping up fossil fuels was diverted into clean energy research;
- If every City in the world resolved to adopt best practice from the front runner of every aspect of low carbon;
- If much of the world’s press wasn’t so reluctant to embrace the change.
Just imagine the speed we could pick up if the brakes were taken off!
But maybe I’m just a dreamer…